Monday, September 28, 2009

Chargers party like it’s 2008 all over again and the Famous Joey Jinx

The Broncos, despite all the preseason chatter that they were going to be awful this season, are 3-0. Our Chargers are 2-1. Granted the Broncos should be 2-1 as well if not for a crazy, heads up, lucky play by Brandon Stokley against the Bengals (who actually should be 3-0). Regardless, it looks as if we are going to have a mirrored season to 2008. The Chargers and the Broncos will beat up the Raiders and the Chiefs, while losing to teams with more talent. At the end of the season, they will battle it out for the AFC championship. At least we now know where the season is headed and so, each week, we'll do our Broncos tracker (we don't need to worry about the other two teams in this division…unless Matt Cassell gets traded to the Raiders and JaMarcus Russell is sent to the UFL). As I foresee it, by simply looking in the 2008 mirror, it'll be up to Rivers and the boys to beat the Broncos in order to win the division. That's it.

I do see next week's game versus Pittsburgh as a possibly positive match up for the Bolts. Even though San Diego has never won a regular season game in Pittsburgh, the Steelers are beat up right now. The weather will not be too bad. Rivers is showing that he is going "to go all Philip Rivers" on any team with a weak secondary by airing it out to Malcolm Floyd, Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates. Chris Chambers has the best gig in the NFL right now. All he has to do is line up and run. He certainly isn't catching anything. Darren Sproles will continue to shine in his starting role, as I believe, despite what L.T. said in the preseason, his best days are behind him and who knows if he'll be back in the lineup and if he is, how successful will he be? Anyone missing Michael Turner as much as I am?

As I wrote about in my second blog, I still feel the Chargers will win the division, but I think we're in for a bumpy ride, just like 2008 (unless we play the Dolphins each week).

Well, the MLB season for San Diego is coming to an end. The Padres have had a pretty impressive September so far. Adrian Gonzalez hit his 40th Home Run last night. If not for the fact that he plays the same position as and is in the same league with Albert Pujols, Adrian should be considered for the NL MVP. Alas it was all too little too late and the best we can do is hope they beat the Dodgers and Giants this weekend. Come on, sales staff at the Padres, why haven't you taken my advice? Let's get some fans in the ball park this weekend to end the season on a high note. Let's see some end of the season deals.

Now is the part of my blog where I share my super power with you, my reading public, all 10 of you. This power was first discovered when I was a young man. I would predict that something was going to happen in a game and then complete opposite would occur. Example, in 2002, I thought there was no way the Anaheim Angels would overcome their deficit in game 6 of the World Series to the San Francisco Giants. I turned off the television and walked away. To refresh your memories, it was the bottom of the bottom of the seventh, the Giants were eight outs away from winning the series, and then, the Angels scored three runs in the seventh and three in the eighth, winning the game and then winning game seven. It was incredible. I didn't see it though. Since then, the power has increased in strength. Only a few people, until know, knew about it. It has frustrated and angered them because when I become so certain about the outcome of a game, the opposite more often than not, happens. My best friend, Jeremy, has coined it the "Joey Jinx." As we sat at the Dolphins-Chargers game yesterday and Kaeding was set to kick a field goal to tie the game after the Chargers came up short on a drive that I had predicted would end in a touchdown, I made the fatal mistake of discussing how clutch he's been this season. He missed. If any of you read my last blog, I predicted the first night of Monday Night Football games would be boring blow outs, they were excited nail biters. I also said that Roger Federer would win the U.S. Open Final. Nope. It's a terrible gift. Each year though, it seems to get stronger and more powerful. Anyway, I have now shared my secret with you…it should make reading my blog a bit more interesting. You can start to follow the strengthening of my powers.

Interesting stories from the rest of the world in sports: I watched the Australian Rules Football Grand Final on Saturday night. It was an amazing match. I know Americans will never care for soccer, especially when they try to sell us on the fourth chipmunk, David Beckham and his toothpick wife as being the saviors of the sport. No thanks. However, Aussie Rules is a great sport with awesome hits and a competition level that is intense. The passion for the sport down under is unmatched and I think it is great that ESPN Classic showed the match. I highly suggest following the sport next season.

I don't want my blog to get into politics, but I do want to mention that our President is flying to Denmark to fight for Chicago's right to host the 2016 Olympics (and party). Are tax payers paying for this trip? Is he going for any other reason than to meet with the International Olympic Committee? I just lost my job last Thursday; I think there are more important issues facing our country right now than Chicago getting the 2016 Olympics. Maybe it's just me?

In tennis, the women's game is about to get a blast from the past as Justine Henin will return to the sport. With Kim Clijsters winning the U.S. Open and showing she's still got it after becoming a mom, I think the Williams sisters will be spending more time on their fashion lines then on the court. Who's next, Steffi Graf? Martina Hingis? Jennifer Capriati?

A shout out to Japan's Kimiko Date Krumm at 38 year-old tennis player from Japan who just became the oldest woman to win a WTA tournament. She won the Korea Open Title. Her last title came in 1996 in San Diego. Oh and the record she broke, previously belonged to one Billie Jean King. Not bad company, Krumm. The drought is over. Also a shout out to my high school, Edison High in Huntington Beach, CA. The football team should end up being ranked 2nd in the state after a huge win against Servite this past weekend. Oceanside High also beat a very good Long Beach Poly team.

Final shot out to my friend Joel who predicted the Jets would have a great season and I told him he was crazy…Joey Jinx strikes again.

That's enough for this week. A final update, my book signing will be at the Borders in Chula Vista on Saturday, October 17th from 4 pm – 6 pm. Last blog I reported that it would be on the 10th. I hope you can make it. In the mean time, check out www.sunbeltbook.com/BookDetails.asp?id=196 to order you advance copy today!

1 comment:

  1. One fool-proof way to beat that curse is simply to listen to Joel. Although he has been wrong in the past, it was only once and he was in second grade. In his defense, it was his first time at the horse races and he has yet to lose on another trifecta.

    -Anonymous-

    ReplyDelete