Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I believe you Shawne…What I can’t believe is Padre’s “fans”


 

I was having lunch at the ESPN Zone in Los Angeles with my friend Jessica before going to see the Dodgers play the Padres (more on that later) at the Ravine when what do I see scrolling across the wire, Shawne Merriman arrested for choking his girlfriend. Like, as I am assuming, most Charger fans, I thought to myself, "Here we go again." After the game I read a little bit more about the story and noticed the photos of Shawne and former reality star Tila "I'm Allergic to Alcohol" Tequila, having a grand old time at a night club in San Diego. Then I saw Shawne's statement and after analyzing the time line, it is more than probable that Tequila in fact had too many Tequila shots and was not fit to drive. It seems to me that Shawne did the respectable thing by attempting to not let her leave. Whether Ms. Tequila is just using this to get her name mentioned again (look I'm doing it) or the alcohol impaired her judgment so, that she believed she was being abused, the fact is, I believe Shawne and hope that our favorite captain of the defense will actually get through a full season this year, but Shawne buddy, Tila Tequila? You can do better than that.

Speaking of the Chargers season, I mentioned last week that I was going to talk a bit about my feelings regarding the upcoming year for the bolts. Preseason was a bit shaky, I have to admit, but a few players did stand out. The first being our go to guy if our go to guy goes down, Billy Volek. Volek was incredible during the preseason and I am certain he could be starting for many other teams (San Francisco, you might want to look up his agent's number). Also, Larry English's name was called so many times at Qualcomm during the two home games, that the fans have quickly dubbed him a favorite. Beyond preseason play however, the fact remains that the Chargers play in the AFC West.

Let's see, if my math is correct that is essentially 7 bye weeks. One actual bye week and the six freebies we get from the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders respectively. Oh no, the Raiders just traded for Richard Seymour (Seymour hasn't even shown up to Oakland yet and is considering retiring over playing for them). Here is my major problem with that; we also play the Browns, Bengals, and Redskins (at the end of the season when they'll already be out of the running because of Philadelphia and the NY Giants). What are the Chargers going to do when they get to the playoffs and have to face actual competition?

I know it'll be fairly easy to coast through the year, but, and I hate to say it, the Chargers are going to have to play go-for-the-jugular, Patriots-style football. Run the score up. Keep the first string out on the field even when you are up by 30 points. The path is certainly paved for the Chargers this season to the playoffs, the question is, will they be ready for the caliber teams they'll be facing in the playoffs? I certainly hope so or else this season will end as the last few have, preseason hype and expectations dashed by the inability to raise to the competition level.

As mentioned above, I went to Dodger Stadium on Sunday and saw the boys in blue take on our Padres. I had my SD hat on and a Padres shirt. I was sitting in the Beach section where you get a free Dodger towel and sit behind Manny Ramirez (two sections above Manny Ramirez) all for $45…and people actually paid it. The sales staff at Petco are all going to start calling Dr. Conrad Murray soon to get some Propofol to help with the sleepless nights due to their lack of ability to sell…anything. And the Dodgers are selling these seats (I was sitting next to a vent in which the smells that we coming out of it where none to pleasant) for $45 and people are paying for it. Oh, and the team is winning. I forgot to mention that part. Oh and they keep signing veteran players to help improve their team while fostering their young talent. Alas, there are still plenty of great deals at Dodger Stadium…deals to justify making the drive up from San Diego to see your team take on their hated rival in a series that they…won!

But, no…you didn't come. None of you came. In a sea of blue, I was one of very few Padre fans representing. It was pathetic. The Dodger fans were actually nice to me. I think they felt bad. I cheered by my lonesome, looking around for someone in an SD hat or jersey to high five with or just give a smile to…since, the Padres won the series (did I mention that). So, I gotta say Padre Nation, I'm a bit disappointed. L.A. isn't that far and besides, you could've stopped and taken your picture on the Hollywood walk of fame before going to the game.

Okay, enough San Diego rants for this week. Let's look at some other news going around the World of Sports. The U.S. Open's men's draw is, as expected, boring. Andy lost (I think I jinxed him). However, the women's draw is looking very exciting. The semi finals could have three out of four players who are unranked, including the comeback kid, Kim Clijsters and the American sensation, Melanie Oudin. I still think Serena will win, but I'd love to see Oudin and Clijsters in the final. Derek Jeter remains hitless in his last two games. He only needs four more to become the all time hits leader on the Yankees. This is the part of the blog where I admit my man crush on Derek Jeter. Hopefully he gets it by the end of the weekend. Finally a shout out to Tom Brady, my fantasy football Quarterback in all three leagues, it looks like his knocked up his amazingly hot Brazilian wife Gisele Bundchen, but Tom, please a beg of you…focus on the season. I need to win my league(s).

Last week I began a column for the San Diego Jewish World. You can read my first story be visiting www.sandiegojewishworld.com and scrolling down to the sports section. Until next week…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment